The all-new Acura TL performance luxury sedan, featuring updated styling, more horsepower and segment-leading electronic equipment, will be priced at $32,650 when it goes on sale October 6th at Acura dealers nationwide. While TL prices reflect a 9.5 percent increase, or $2,877, compared to last year based on a sales-weighted average, the 2004 model features a long list of enhancements, new features and industry firsts marking a dramatic improvement compared to the previous 3.2 TL and the high performance TL Type-S.
The 2004 TL boasts a new 270 horsepower engine (an increase of 45 horsepower compared to the 2003 TL), drive-by-wire throttle and a sport-tuned 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension. It comes equipped with either a 5-speed Sequential SportShift™ automatic transmission or, for the first time, a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential.
Inside, an assortment of class-leading electronics includes the first automotive application of a standard DVD-Audio 5.1 surround sound system. The Acura ELS Premium Audio System, developed with Grammy-award winning music producer Elliot Scheiner, uses eight strategically placed speakers to deliver discrete sound with 500 times the resolution of CD. The TL also boasts the first standard application of a Bluetooth-based hands-free phone system. The HandsFreeLink™ system enables a Bluetooth link with compatible mobile phones, allowing calls to be made through the TL's voice recognition and audio systems. XM® Satellite Radio (with a free three-month trial subscription) is also standard equipment.
The 2004 TL incorporates a wide array of the latest safety technologies including four channel Vehicle Stability Assist and dual stage, dual threshold front airbags. New for 2004, are standard side curtain airbags to help protect vehicle occupants from head and neck injuries in the event of a side impact, Electronic Brake Force Distribution and a Brake Assist System.
Dramatically redesigned exterior styling complements a wider, more muscular stance accented by wide, 17-inch alloy wheels, distinct fender blisters and minimal wheel arch-to-tire gaps. In front, the TL features a bold hood design and an aggressive front fascia. Distinct character grooves run below the sleek cabin on each side of the car, stretching from the front side marker along the side of the car to the rear marker. A short rear deck with a pronounced lip and a V-shaped break below the trunk and dual exhaust pipes with bumper-integrated exhaust tips further accent the car's muscular style.
The Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition' is available as a factory installed option for $2,000. This easy-to-use system features an 8-inch display screen, over 7 million points of interest, mapping of virtually all roads in the continental United States and steering-wheel mounted voice recognition controls.
TL's equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission feature a limited slip differential and 4-piston Brembo front brakes. TL's with the manual transmission can also be equipped with high performance tires for an additional $200.
Acura TL: Key Features for 2004
- 3.2-liter, 24-valve, SOHC, V-6 aluminum alloy engine
- 270 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 238 lbs-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm
- 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential
- Drive-by-wire throttle system
- 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension
- Lightweight, yet extremely rigid unit body structure
- 17-inch wheels and tires
- 4-channel VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist)
- 4-piston Brembo front brake calipers (w/6-speed manual transmission)
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
- Optional high performance tires (w/6-speed manual transmission)
- Acura/ELS® Premium 8-speaker Surround Sound System with DVD-Audio, DTS™ and CD 6-disc Changer, AM/FM Tuner and Dolby® Cassette
- Acura HandsFreeLink' wireless phone capability
- Power moonroof with sliding sunshade
- Perforated leather seating and trim
- Dual-zone, dual-mode Automatic Climate Control
- Steering-wheel mounted audio, cruise control and voice recognition controls
- Optional Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition' with 8-inch display screen
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Enhanced keyless entry system with seven customizable memory functions
- 10-way power adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support
- Front dual-stage, dual-threshold airbags
- Driver's and front passenger's side airbag with passenger's size and position sensors
- Side curtain airbags
- Brake Assist System
- Dramatic new styling
- Wider, more aggressive stance
- Acoustic front windshield glass
2004 TL Performance Luxury Sedan