The first ever Acura RDX burst on to the Sport Utility Vehicle scene in 2007. Upon its debut, Acura's RDX 5-passenger crossover SUV generated excellent reviews and it continues to garner top praise including the first place ranking in AutoPacific's 2008 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards. For 2009 the turbocharged RDX returns as an advanced 5-passenger premium crossover SUV with handling and performance that positions it as the SUV soul mate of the Acura TSX sports sedan.
The RDX concept was initiated in California and then developed in Japan. When first introduced, it debuted precedent-setting engineering features for Acura, including the luxury division's first turbocharged and intercooled engine, the first adaptation of the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™) system to an SUV, and Acura's first standard 18-inch wheels and tires. Likewise, the RDX continues Acura's "Safety Through Innovation" with the application of cutting edge standard safety technologies. True to form for Acura, the RDX also offers a class-leading array of sophisticated electronic technologies that are seamlessly integrated to keep its passengers informed, in touch and entertained.
For 2009, the RDX now comes standard with a 4-way adjustable power passenger front seat along with four new exterior colors: Basque Red Pearl, Crystal Black Pearl, Grigio Metallic and Palladium Metallic. In addition, AcuraLink® Real-time traffic system includes coverage for yet another major metropolitan area--bringing the total to 77 areas.
ENTRY PREMIUM SUV MARKET
The Entry Premium SUV segment is relatively new, at present populated by only a few vehicles including the Acura RDX, BMW X3 and Land Rover LR2. This segment is expected to grow five-fold in the next few years and the RDX positions Acura strongly within it, with a host of unique and attractive features.
RDX targets young professionals that are upwardly mobile, who work hard and play hard too. The typical buyer enjoys playing a sport, lives in the city, and on the weekends often travels to the mountains, country or coast. This customer wants an emotional and stylish vehicle that offers a higher "eye-point" (driving position) and more cargo flexibility than a sedan - but with the style, handling and performance of a great sports sedan. Thus, the transformable utility of the RDX, along with its engaging performance and handling, is a perfect fit.
- Turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter DOHC, 16-valve, i-VTEC® inline-four engine
- 240 horsepower at 6000 rpm
- 260 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm
- i-VTEC® (intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
- Dual balance shafts
- Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission with F1®-style paddle shifters
- Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™)
- Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™
- EPA estimated 17/22 mpg* (city/highway)
- Meets EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards
BODY & CHASSIS FEATURES
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) unit body structure with extensive use of high-tensile steel
- Independent MacPherson strut front suspension
- Independent multi-link rear suspension
- Torque-sensing, variable power-assist rack-and-pinion steering
- 18x7.5-inch aluminum alloy wheels
- P235/55R18 99V M+S all-season high-performance tires
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and brake assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control
- 1,500-pound tow rating
- Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) low-beam front headlights
- Heated outside mirrors with passenger reverse gear tilt-down and integrated directional signals
- Luxurious cockpit designed for performance driving
- Perforated leather-trimmed seats
- LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination
- Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with fingertip controls
and F1®-style paddle shifters
- Multi-Information Display
- Power moonroof with tilt, auto-open/close, auto-reverse and key-off operation
- Dual-mode cargo system
- Supportive sport-type front seating
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system with air filtration
- Briefcase-sized, locking center front console with dual-level storage
- 60/40 split-folding flat-folding rear seating
- 7-speaker Acura Premium Sound System with multi-format 6-disc changer, AM/FM tuner, and XM® Satellite Radio receiver
- Driver's 8-way power seat with power-adjustable lumbar support
- Heated front seats
- Manual tilt and telescoping steering column
- MP3/auxiliary input jack
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® connectivity
- 2-position memory seat
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Optional Technology Package Features
- Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™
- Rearview camera
- AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Real-time traffic
- 10-speaker Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Sound System with multi-format DVD-Audio 6-disc changer, AM/FM tuner, and XM® Satellite Radio
- Multi-Information Display (MID) with steering wheel controls
- GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, automatic climate control system
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Side impact door beams
- Impact-absorbing crumple zones (front/rear)
- Dual stage, dual threshold front airbags (SRS)
- Front side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
- Side curtain airbags for front and rear outboard seats with rollover sensor
- Active Head Restraint System front headrests
- 3-point adjustable-height front seatbelts with load limiters with an automatic tensioning system
- 3-point seat belts at all three rear seating positions
- Automatic Locking Retractor/Emergency Locking Retractors (ALR/ELR) (excluding driver)
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) child-seat mounting system
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with optional pressure readout
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control
- Mirror integrated LED directional signals
- Excellent outward visibility (276 degrees)
- Theft-deterrent system with electronic immobilizer
ENGINE & POWERTRAIN
The RDX is engineered to be a technical tour de force within the its segment. Its engine and powertrain feature a host of new and updated technologies for Acura that deliver strong driving performance with good fuel economy and low emissions.
RDX features Acura's first application of a forced-induction engine. The all-new 2.3-liter aluminum engine features an advanced variable flow turbocharger designed to provide quick response at low rpm as well as strong high-rpm power. The advantage is immediate acceleration that drivers want in the city environment, together with 240 horsepower for the passing and hill-climbing ability of a traditional 6-cylinder engine. The RDX's turbocharged inline four produces 260 lb-ft of torque. It also returns an EPA estimated 17/22* mpg (city/highway), while meeting tough EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards.
Acura's commitment to making the RDX fun to drive continues with a Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission with F1®-style paddle shifters. But perhaps the most breathtaking feature of the RDX is its Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™). First introduced in the 2005 Acura RL and then specially adapted for the RDX, the system deters understeer by shifting power to the outside rear wheel to help boost cornering power and steering precision. The level of handling response and driver control provided by SH-AWD puts the RDX in a class by itself.
*Based on 2009 EPA mileage estimates, reflecting new EPA fuel economy methods beginning with 2008 models. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
BODY & CHASSIS
Befitting its concept as an urban sports vehicle for young professional singles or couples, the RDX body design is powerful and athletic with muscular bodylines that impart a sense of command and control. Key styling elements include body sides that rake upward front to rear, generous wheel arches that emphasize the large18-inch wheels and tires, a short rear overhang, and a cargo door that's positioned flush with the bumper.
- Compact size that is well proportioned for maneuvering through city traffic and parking structures
- A high eye-point that allows an excellent outward field of view
- Rigid unit body structure and independent suspension enhance steering precision and ride quality
- Low Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) levels befitting a luxury SUV
Widespread use of high-tensile steel provides the rigidity necessary for the 4-wheel independent suspension system to work optimally while helping to reduce NVH. The RDX uses 39-percent (by weight) high-tensile steel to provide increased strength at a lower weight. Other engineering features include precise aerodynamic tuning that reduces drag and improves quietness inside the cabin. This tailoring includes a tailgate spoiler, rear wheel strakes, and aerodynamic side mirrors.
The RDX rides on 4-wheel independent suspension with specially tuned MacPherson struts in front and a multi-link design in back. The mounting points for the suspension were carefully engineered to reduce the transmission of NVH into the passenger cabin. RDX also features18-inch tires and wheels and large 4-wheel disc brakes that include a 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. Torque-sensing power rack-and-pinion steering provides quick steering response with outstanding feel.
A finely appointed urban loft apartment is the feel that Acura designers sought when crafting the RDX interior. The contemporary styling and high-quality materials are confident, functional and upscale. The driver-oriented cockpit includes a leather-wrapped steering wheel, LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination and a Multi-Information Display (MID) that allows access to multiple electronic functions. Among the advanced electronic technologies in the RDX is a standard 7-speaker Acura Premium Sound System with a multi-format 6-disc changer, AM/FM tuner and XM® Satellite Radio. A convenient auxiliary input jack makes it easy to connect an iPod® or other similar electronic devices to the audio system.
The RDX seats five and caters to the driver and front passenger first and foremost. The RDX has an elevated eye-point that enhances the outward view. Its standard leather seating surfaces and ergonomically designed seat contours are designed to provide sedan-like comfort. The power driver's seat is 8-way adjustable with power adjustable lumbar support for a custom fit. For 2009, the RDX now comes standard with a 4-way adjustable power-activated passenger front seat.
Besides exemplary comfort, interior roominess and cargo carrying were high priorities for RDX designers. The rear seats are highly versatile and permit a wide range of storage capabilities. With the 60/40 split-folding rear seats folded flat, the rear cargo area offers up to 60.6 cubic feet of storage. Numerous interior storage compartments include a large lockable dual-level center console between the front seats. For greater passenger comfort, a dual-zone automatic climate control system is standard.
Optional Technology Package
The RDX is so well equipped that only one optional package is available. Appealing to audiophile and computer-savvy customers, the Technology Package makes the RDX truly "wired." The Technology Package includes a 10-speaker Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Sound System with multi-format 6-disc DVD-Audio changer, AM/FM tuner, and XM® Satellite Radio. The Technology Package also includes AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Real-time traffic, the Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, rearview camera and a GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, automatic climate control system. In total, these technologies put the RDX at the cutting edge of the Entry Premium SUV segment.
The 2009 RDX breaks ground in a number of important safety areas. Its ACE™ front body structure makes the RDX compatible with smaller vehicles if a car-to-car frontal collision should occur, and it has a specially engineered hood and other components to reduce the chance of injury in the event of a collision with a pedestrian.
Passive safety features include the latest dual-stage, dual-threshold airbag technology for the driver and front passenger, side airbags for the driver and front passenger, and side curtain airbags with rollover sensors for all outboard occupants. LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children), a child-seat mounting system, makes it easy to quickly secure a child seat in the rear seats (see Safety section for more details).
ENGINEERING & MANUFACTURING
The RDX is the first Acura light truck to be assembled in Honda of America Manufacturing's facility in Marysville, Ohio, the same factory that produces the Acura TL. As a result, it now brings light-truck production capacity and even greater versatility to the Marysville, Ohio plant. In addition, RDX represents the first time that an American engineer has headed a Japanese development team in developing a new Acura vehicle.
Producing both an SUV and a sedan on the same assembly line requires additional flexibility because of dimensional differences (in particular the height and width of the RDX rear section). The assembly process in Marysville was optimized for workers installing the overhead rear hatch, to minimize overhead lifting and reaching. In addition, the assembly plant was modified to accommodate the installation of the RDX's SH-AWD™ system. This was necessary due to the additional components such as the rear propeller shaft and rear differential.
A host of attractive Acura Genuine Accessories were developed simultaneously with the RDX. Like all Acura Genuine Accessories, the upgrades are covered by the RDX's 4-year, 50,000-mile basic warranty when purchased with the vehicle or 12 months/12,000 miles when purchased separately.