2010 Acura MDX - Introduction
Since its debut in 2001 (when it promptly won Motor Trend Magazine's coveted Sport Utility of the Year award), the Acura MDX continues to be one of the best selling mid-sized SUVs - and one of the most benchmarked SUVs by its competitors. However, without resting on its laurels, Acura engineers have continually upgraded the MDX to include more features that better satisfy market desires. For 2010, the MDX gets notably better in the form of a new engine and transmission, a revised chassis, more comfort, improved technology and a fresh new exterior look.
However, the 2010 MDX doesn't abandon the core elements that have made it a winner in the eyes of automotive journalists. Still present is strong (yet efficient) V-6 power, Nürburgring tuned suspension, Acura's acclaimed Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system, ACE™ body structure that helps deliver top crash safety ratings, a luxury interior with room for seven passengers and a cache of advanced features including: Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ and a spectacular 10-speaker Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Audio System. And for 2010, the MDX delivers even more luxury features as standard - such as a power operated tailgate and rearview camera now offered on every MDX model.
For 2010, the MDX gets a new 3.7L V-6 engine that has a more usable power curve, improved fuel efficiency and an all-new 6-speed automatic transmission. Ride and handling has been enhanced due to new lighter 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, revised power steering system, stiffer rear trailing arm mounting, body rigidity improvements, reduced overall NVH and retuning of the available Active Damper System.
Externally, the 2010 MDX gets a new look thanks to Acura's signature front grille design, a new front fascia, a revised hood, new side sills, a new rear fascia matched with rolled edge polished stainless-steel exhaust finishers, revised taillights with brighter LED lights, many new trim pieces and available 19-inch diameter 7-spoke aluminum wheels.
Inside, the 2010 MDX benefits from the increased use of Milano leather, a new sport steering wheel with racing-inspired paddle shifters, new gauges, easier to understand button placement for center stack functions, available ventilated front seats, upgraded interior trim, richer simulated wood trim, French seam stitching, higher quality floor mats, larger mid- and rear-row seat headrests, a host of available new technology including AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, Traffic Rerouting™ for the AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ system, a new full VGA navigation screen, a rear view camera with three unique view choices, a new rear entertainment system, an updated audio system with a built-in hard disk drive (HDD), USB port connectivity, additional LED lighting and more.
Safety has been addressed with the availability of Acura's Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™). Additional available state-of-the-art technology includes an all-new blind spot information system along with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).
In the end, the 2010 MDX delivers more performance, technology, safety and comfort as compared to the already class leading 2009 MDX.
- New 3.7-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine
- 300 horsepower @ 6,300 rpm
- 270 lb-ft of torque @ 4,500 rpm
- Revised VTEC® (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) valvetrain
- Dual-stage magnesium-alloy intake manifold
- All-new Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission
- Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®)
- EPA estimated city/highway fuel mileage of 16/21 mpg*
- EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards
*Based on 2010 EPA mileage estimates, reflecting new EPA fuel economy methods beginning with 2008 models. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
BODY & CHASSIS FEATURES
- Unit body structure with extensive use of high-strength steel
- Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) low-beam front headlights
- Fully independent front suspension with MacPherson struts and stabilizer bar
- Fully independent rear suspension with multi-link control arms and stabilizer bar
- Torque-sensing, power-assist rack-and-pinion steering
- New (lighter)18x8-inch 5-spoke aluminum wheels (standard MDX)
- 19x8.5-inch 7-spoke aluminum wheels (Advance Package)
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist™(VSA®) with traction control and Trailer Stability Assist
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- 5,000-pound tow rating
- LED tail lamps and Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL)
- Heated outside mirrors with Reverse gear tilt-down and integrated LED directional turn signals
- 7 passenger seating
- Driver-oriented cockpit
- Driver's 10-way power seat (8-way power seat with 2-way power lumbar support)
- Two-driver custom memory system
- Front passenger 8-way power seat
- Heated front seats with available cooled front seats
- Steering wheel with racing-inspired transmission paddle shifters, audio controls and MID controls
- Tri-Zone automatic climate control system with air filtration and humidity control
- 253-watt Acura Premium Sound System with AM/FM tuner, in-dash 6-disc CD/MP3/WMA changer, XM® Radio with Note function music reminder, AUX jack connectivity and 8 speakers including an 8-inch subwoofer
- HomeLink® remote control
- Multi-Information Display (MID) allows access to multiple electronic functions
- Maintenance Minder™
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated rear view video screen
- Electric tilt and telescoping steering column
- New LED interior lighting
- Loop pile carpet mats
- Power operated rear tailgate
- Adaptive and flexible cargo space with multiple configurations
- Milano premium leather seating surfaces
- Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™
- 8-inch full VGA high-resolution color display with LED backlighting
- Multi-view rear camera
- AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System
- AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™
- AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ with radar image maps
- Interface dial provides quick, intuitive access to navigation, audio and other features
- Acura/ELS Surround® premium 10-speaker audio system with DVD-Audio, DTS™, CD, AM/FM radio, XM® Radio with Note function music reminder, Bluetooth® Audio, 15 GB hard disk drive (HDD) media storage system, USB port and AUX jack connectivity, Song By Voice™(SBV), Dolby Pro Logic II and a 410-watt Digital Signal Processing (DSP) amplifier
- GPS-linked, solar-sensing, tri-zone, automatic climate control system with air filtration and humidity control
Entertainment Package (available with Technology or Advance Package)
- Rear Entertainment System (RES) with motorized full VGA color screen, DVD player, wireless headphones, remote control and AUX jacks
- 115-volt power outlet located in the center console
- Heated second-row outboard seats
Advance Package (in addition to the Technology Package features)
- Blind spot information system
- Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Exclusive 19x8.5-inch 7-spoke aluminum wheel design
- Active Damper System (ADS)
- Perforated Milano premium full-grain leather front seating surfaces with high-damping front-seat cushion foam and contrasting stitching
- Ventilated front seats (in addition to heat)
- Steering wheel with unique paddle shifters
- Auto-leveling headlights
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Impact-absorbing crumple zones (front/rear)
- Side impact door beams
- Driver and front passenger dual-stage, multiple-threshold airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)
- Driver and front passenger side airbags with front passenger Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
- Side curtain airbags for all three rows (outboard seats) with rollover sensor
- Driver and front passenger knee bolsters
- Active head restraints for front seats
- 3-point adjustable-height front seat belts with Emergency Locking Retractors
- Automatic Locking Retractor for all seating positions except driver seat
- 3-point seat belts for all seating positions
- Automatic Locking Retractor/Emergency Locking Retractors for driver seat
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child-seat mounting system for the second-row seats
MDX has been very important to Acura, accounting for about 30-percent of the division's overall sales. The original MDX attracted buyers from competitive luxury makes including BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, who started new relationships for Acura. The 2010 MDX competes at the top of its class that is defined as the Mid Premium CUV (Crossover Utility Vehicle) segment.
Focus groups with customers shopping in the luxury market were conducted around the United States with an increased focus in Seattle, Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles. These cities were carefully chosen to explore how customers use their SUVs in cold climates, in areas that are traditional domestic-vehicle strongholds and in areas known for their trend-setting character.
Early in the study process Acura also benchmarked performance SUVs such as the BMW X5 - and polled X5 owners - to ensure that the MDX would exceed the performance of its competitors. Satisfying these highly discriminating customers means that the MDX would be well positioned to attract a wider group of potential buyers.
With the MDX, added performance and handling capabilities boost its appeal for performance enthusiasts, while the luxurious and functional interior continues to satisfy the needs of traditional luxury customers.
ENGINE & POWERTRAIN
For 2010 the MDX's receives a new 3.7-liter VTEC® V-6. The engine continues Acura's longstanding mission to provide V-8 level horsepower and torque while retaining the size and fuel efficiency of a V-6. Based on the previous MDX's powerplant, the new 3.7L engine develops 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque along with providing immediate acceleration response, outstanding low- and mid-range torque and exciting high-rpm power. To widen the powerband while simultaneously improving fuel efficiency, the 3.7-liter engine has a new 2-rocker arm design VTEC® (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system applied to the intake valves, revised high-lift camshaft specs during VTEC® operation, a computer controlled dual-stage induction system and an electronic Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system.
EPA estimated city/highway fuel economy of 16/21 mpg and a large 21-gallon fuel capacity mean the MDX has a long cruising range. The MDX complies with the latest EPA TIER 2 - BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards. Performance and fuel economy benefit from the MDX's all-new 6-speed automatic transmission, and the transmission's quick-response Sequential SportShift function is designed to satisfy the most discerning enthusiast drivers.
Originally tuned on the famed Nürburgring circuit in Germany, the MDX's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system provides handling precision that sets a new benchmark for SUVs. SH-AWD® uses torque vectoring to actively vary the distribution of power between the front and rear axles - then between the left and right rear wheels - to provide maximum power delivery under all driving circumstances. In addition to the torque vectoring, SH-AWD® overdrives the outside rear wheel up to 1.7 percent faster than the front wheels to create a "yaw moment" that helps the MDX to better rotate around a corner - thus minimizing understeer.
BODY & CHASSIS
The 2010 MDX sets even higher standards for SUV styling, engineering, handling and safety standpoints. Its dramatic exterior styling utilizes large surface areas, sweeping curves and decisive angles. New for 2010 are more aggressive front and rear fascias, Acura's signature front grille, a revised front hood, new side sills, rolled edge polished stainless-steel exhaust finishers, revised taillights with brighter LED lights and numerous new trim pieces.
In an effort to keep mass out of the vehicle, the MDX features widespread use of light weight materials such as high-strength steel, aluminum and magnesium. In addition, the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure brings new levels of front crash safety to the MDX.
Befitting its position as Acura's flagship SUV, the MDX is equipped with high end appointments such as Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) low-beam front headlights, a dramatic array of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) in the rear tail lamps and center high-mounted stop light (CHMSL) and exterior mirror-mounted turn signals. Careful aerodynamic tailoring reduces drag noise and high speed dynamic stability.
The 2010 MDX features a track-tuned chassis to complement its new 3.7L V-6 engine and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®). Engineers targeted the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne when developing the MDX chassis, and then tested and refined it at Germany's famed Nürburgring road course. The Active Damper System has been revised for 2010 and features real-time shock adjustments (in less than five milliseconds) to continually varying road conditions. The Active Damper System uses highly sophisticated Magneto-Rheological design dampers and specific computer algorithms to quickly and continuously adapt to road conditions. The MDX is also at home off-road where its SH-AWD®, responsive suspension and generous ground clearance enable it to cross-step through rough terrain.
For family recreation, the MDX tows as well as it goes. With a 5,000-pound tow rating, standard trailer pre-wiring, high-capacity radiator with twin cooling fans, transmission fluid cooler and Trailer Stability Assist, the 2010 MDX needs only a dealer-installed hitch and wiring to tow a trailer.
The MDX features a luxurious yet functional interior. The cockpit environment is focused on the driver, and features a host of technologies to make driving simultaneously rewarding and relaxing. The interior styling and functionality perfectly coexist with a driver's cockpit that features a 10-way power seat including power-adjustable lumbar support for the driver, electronic tilt and telescoping steering column, a 2-position custom memory system, and a Multi-Information Display (MID) that allows access to multiple electronic functions.
The interior design is as dynamic and contemporary as the exterior, with a "4+3 seating" concept that luxuriously hosts four passengers in the first and second row seats, while also offering comfortable accommodations for three additional passengers (one in the second row and two in the third row). The front passenger enjoys an 8-way power seat, while everyone on board will appreciate the MDX's Tri-Zone automatic climate control system. MDX occupants will enjoy the standard 253-watt, 8-speaker Acura Premium Sound System with in-dash 6-disc CD/MP3/WMA changer, AM/FM tuner and XM® Radio. An auxiliary jack for personal audio devices is also included. Standard convenience features include HomeLink®, Maintenance Minder™ and adaptive and flexible cargo space with six configurations.
All 2010 MDX models come standard with a rearview camera. The standard MDX displays the rearview image on a new auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated video screen, while the Technology Package and Advance Package displays multi-view camera information on the instrument panel-mounted Navigation screen. When equipped with the Advance Package, a blind spot information system can detect other vehicles when they are in the blind spot of the MDX driver. The MDX has a 5,000-pound tow rating and can be fitted with a Class III hitch, as well as over a dozen other items from Acura Genuine Accessories.
The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure along with several passive-safety technologies help bring the 2010 MDX to the next level of safety. ACE™ more evenly distributes collision forces and helps maintain the integrity of the passenger cabin in the event of a severe frontal collision. The MDX is also less intrusive to smaller vehicles in a head-on collision thanks to a special frame member located below the front bumper that is designed to engage the front bumper of smaller vehicles.
The MDX is equipped with an active front head restraint system for front seat headrests along with knee bolsters for the driver and front passenger. The driver and front passenger are also protected by dual-stage, multiple-threshold airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) and side airbags with front passenger Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS). Side curtain airbags help reduce the likelihood of injury to the occupants in all three rows of outboard seats A new rollover sensor adds a further level of protection.
The 2010 Acura MDX furthers Acura's commitment to "Safety Through Innovation" with pedestrian injury mitigation features such as a deformable aluminum hood and hood hinges, along with breakaway windshield-wiper pivots.
MANUFACTURING & ENVIRONMENT
Honda of Canada Manufacturing in Alliston, Ontario, is the assembly plant for the MDX. A special dynamic quality-control process is employed to ensure the highest possible level of attention to detail for every MDX produced. After assembly is completed, each MDX enters a special Acura Quality line. The ability to immediately respond to the smallest issue allows the MDX to excel in quality - and in customer satisfaction.
Acura's commitment to preserving the environment continues with the MDX via further reduction of the use of metals such as chromium and lead, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and polyvinyl chlorides (PVC). In the manufacturing facility, a dedicated line separates different manufacturing scrap materials for recycling. In addition, the MDX is the first Acura vehicle to use a mercury-free navigation system display screen.