Corporate / North American Operations / Chronology
Honda Chronology (1959-1946)
06/09/2005 - Torrance, Calif.
- Honda establishes American Honda Motor Co., Inc. The Super Cub, the Dream and the Benly motorcycles are the first products.
- Honda launches Super Cub motorcycle in Japan, helping make Honda the sales leader.
- Honda leads Japan in motorcycle production volume.
- Honda declares intention to race in Isle of Man Tourist Trophy race in the U.K. (eventually participating for the first time in 1959).
- Honda's first general purpose engine (Type H) is produced.
- Honda introduces first original motorcycle - 2-stroke Dream D-type.
- Soichiro Honda incorporates Honda Technical Research Institute and renames it Honda Motor Co., Ltd., capitalized at one million yen.
- Soichiro Honda establishes Honda Technical Research Institute in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, where he develops and produces internal combustion engines and machine tools.