Corporate / North American Operations / Chronology
Honda Chronology (1979-1970)
06/09/2005 - Torrance, Calif.
- Honda of America Mfg. starts motorcycle production in Marysville, Ohio.
- Honda introduces the 4-door Accord sedan.
- Honda of America Mfg., Inc. is established in Ohio.
- Honda auto production exceeds 5 million units.
- Civic CVCC ranks first in the first-ever fuel economy ranking by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Honda R&D Co., Ltd. establishes a liaison office in Torrance, California (later becomes Honda R&D Americas).
- The Civic CVCC (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) engine is the first engine to comply with the 1975 Clean Air Act without a catalytic converter.
- Gold Wing GL1000 is introduced in the U.S.
- Honda is the first Japanese automaker to issue consolidated financial statements.
- Founder and President Soichiro Honda retires along with co-founder and Executive Vice President Takeo Fujisawa. Kiyoshi Kawashima becomes second president of Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- Honda announces CVCC (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) engine technology.
- Honda exports N600 automobile to U.S.
- Honda Engineering Co., Ltd. established in Japan - production engineering company.