The smallest engines in the Honda Marine lineup, the BF5 and BF2 are ideally suited for small tenders and canoes. The compact 4-stroke outboards deliver easy starting and quiet operation paired with outstanding fuel efficiency.
BF5: Portable Power
Weighing just 60 pounds (27 kg), Honda Marine's BF5 is lightweight, compact, and outfitted with a front-mount carrying handle for easy transport. Its 127cc, 7.8 cubic inch engine features a water-cooled, single cylinder design for excellent low- to mid-range power. The Digital CD Ignition delivers high-energy output for quick and easy starts while the Twist Grip Throttle allows for precise throttle control. A unique Throttle Tensioner further minimizes driver fatigue.
The BF5 incorporates full Forward-Neutral-Reverse (F-N-R) Shifting with in-gear start protection, as well as Honda's patented 4-Front Corrosion Protection System. This double-sealed multi-layered paint process serves to extend the life of all Honda outboard models. Finally, a crankshaft-driven, automotive-style Trochoid Oil Pump ensures long-term durability of critical engine components.
A number of other features complete the BF5's design. A Low Oil Warning System and rev limiter protect the engine from severe damage if the oil reaches a low level; an innovative Shallow-Water Drive feature allows the engine to be tilted in low water; and the Full Swivel Bracket Design enhances the engine's overall durability by reducing vibration to the tiller handle.
BF2: A Mini Powerhouse
Small and easy-to-handle, Honda's BF2 is the lightest 4-stroke outboard motor available in the U.S. Weighing in at just 27 pounds (12 kg), this low-maintenance, lightweight model delivers smooth, clean power for a variety of small vessels.
Like the BF5, the design of the BF2 incorporates a number of innovative features including its Shallow Water Drive, 4-Front Corrosion Protection System, Twist Grip Throttle, and Front Mount Carrying Handle. And since the BF2 is air-cooled, boaters no longer need to worry about debris being sucked into the power head.
The BF2 also has several operator-focused design elements, including:
- A Centrifugal Clutch maintains a smooth idle, automatically engaging the propeller above idle speed when the throttle is advanced; this feature is similar to the neutral position in an automobile;
- Transistor Ignition delivers high-energy output for quick and easy starts;
- Forced-Air Cooling System eliminates the need for a water pump and ensures that the cooling system will not become plugged with debris;
- 360° Swivel Steering provides superior maneuverability in tight areas, resulting in more reverse thrust;
- Fold-Down Tiller Handle allows for easy transportation and storage;
- Integral Fuel Tank facilitates easy removal and portability as one unit; the vent may be closed for transport or extended storage periods;
- Steering Friction Adjustment allows for the easy adjustment of steering tension, providing increased maneuverability.
Honda Marine's BF5 and BF2 are available in both 20-inch and 15-inch shaft models. All new Honda outboard engines sold for recreational use between May 1, 2007, and March 31, 2008, offer an industry-best True 5-year non-declining limited factory warranty that is the same on the last day as it is on the first.
Honda Marine pioneered 4-stroke engine technology, setting a new benchmark for fuel efficiency, quiet operation, and low emissions. Honda's outboards share the same unparalleled durability, quality, and reliability of its legendary automobiles. With models ranging from 2 to 225 horsepower, Honda Marine's full line of current production models meets rigorous California Air Resources Board (CARB) 3-Star standards, ensuring their availability and regulatory compliance in all 50 states.